GRADUATE / JUNIOR DESIGN ENGINEER
About Atherton Bikes
A career at Atherton Bikes is for those who want the excitement, hard work and opportunity of a technology start-up, in a culture of World Champions, state of the art technology and a healthy outdoor lifestyle. You will be part of a unique close-knit team consisting of elite athletes and design/engineering experts from F1, aerospace and NASA. We are all driven to push the frontiers of mountain bike design and manufacturing technology.
We are on track to disrupt the global mountain bike market with our high-performance personalised fit mountain bikes. Our core product technology combines Metal Additive Manufacturing (AM) and carbon fibre composites to produce World Cup winning mountain bikes. Atherton Bikes are designed and manufactured on the edge of the Snowdonia National Park, in a core hub of mountain biking trails and culture.
We have recently completed a round of fund raising and are ready to accelerate the next phase of our
scale-up. We have ambitious plans to develop more new technologies to allow new products to be
launched including kids bikes and e-bike ranges. This is an incredibly exciting period for the company
and a great opportunity for the right person to make their mark.
You will be designing and facilitating the manufacture of a broad product range of highly refined bicycles, ranging from the ultimate performance World Cup race machines, to kids bikes and e-bikes.
With the support of our highly experienced and skilled team you will become an expert in all aspects of bicycle design, as well as design for Metal Additive Manufacturing (metal AM), composite technologies and joining. You will help the company pioneer the use of metal AM, striving for improvements in productivity, quality and range of application. As a well-rounded product designer/design engineer you will constantly be looking for opportunities to improve all aspects of our products.
- Design research leading to generation of product design spec and concept generation. You will be working at a whole product level as well as detailed features and mechanisms.
- Development and effective communication of design concepts, using most effective and appropriate media, i.e. physical model making, hand sketching, CAD, etc.
- Development of concepts to detailed, manufacture-ready designs, taking into account manufacturing and assembly requirements.
- Understanding, development and execution of aesthetic aspects of bicycle design.
- Generation of robust and stable parametric CAD models.
- Part design and build strategy for optimum running of metal Additive Manufacturing machines.
- Working with Team riders and mechanics in both formal and informal settings to gain feedback and insight into product performance.
- Perform and interpret both FEA and lab based tests to understand structural performance of products.
- Managing and interpreting gathered data to implement real product improvements.
- Create and follow test procedures to aid product development and ensure product quality.
- Liaison for suppliers and development partners.
- Definition and management of design-related projects.
- Contribution to product development gate reviews.
- As a start-up company we anticipate a fast developing set of new responsibilities as the company grows.
- Ability to work in a new, dynamic, team-based collaborative environment where priorities may shift regularly.
- Self-starter with the ability and eagerness to rapidly acquire new skill sets.
- Appetite to constantly challenge convention, yet awareness to know when to follow procedure.
- Self-motivated and the ability to work independently once tasked.
- Good verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to endure a flexible work schedule.
- A willingness to “do what it takes” to get the job done – as a company in scale-up phase there will be unexpected challenges.
- Confidence to speak up when you need help.
- Comfortable using on-line tools to work with colleagues who may be based remotely.
- Happy to get involved with other parts of the business when the need arises, such as
assisting with manufacturing activities or attending trade shows and other events.
- Awareness and commitment to health and safety.
- Not take yourself too seriously.
- Be happy spending time on a Welsh hillside doing product testing (not always sunny).
- Minimum 2:1 BEng or BSc in Design or Mechanical Engineering focused degree.
- Demonstrable knowledge of common manufacturing processes and design for manufacture principles.
- Ability to design at a detailed part level, for example, working knowledge of tolerance analysis.
- Demonstrable knowledge of the complete product development cycle from concept to detail to production.
- High level of CAD proficiency in SolidWorks.
- Experience in Additive Manufacturing and associated software.
- Experience in FEA analysis and fundamental mechanical analysis hand calculations.
- Good hand sketching and ability to develop industrial design elements of bike design.
- Enthusiast for the outdoors.
Salary dependent on skills and experience.
We encourage applications from all sections of the community and strive for equality of opportunity.
Please email all applications including full CV and design porfolio (if applicable) to email@example.com.